Have you ever wondered how Netflix recommends movies to your liking? Or how Spotify accurately predicts your next favourite song?
Join us in this three-day course and find out more about the key concepts and technologies behind recommender and prediction systems. Pick up essential skills and learn from hands-on experience how to implement a recommender system using Google’s open-source TensorFlow app.
Laptops will be provided for the duration of the course.
As part of the course, you will learn the essentials of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML). You will also be trained on various data preparation and presentation approaches in the following areas:
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML)
- Introduction to Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML)
- Why self-learning programs?
- Various applications of AI and ML
- ML as a subset of AI
- Data preparation, Algorithm selection, Parameter tuning, evaluation of results
- The different ML approaches such as:
- Unsupervised learning (clustering)
- Supervised learning (regression, classification)
- Principal Component Analysis (PCA)
- Association rules
- Regression analysis
- Support Vector Machine
- Decision Tree
- Random Forests
- Neural Network
Introduction to Recommender Systems and Python-based Tools
- Introduction to Recommender Systems such as:
- content-based filtering
- collaborative filtering
- overview of Dimensionality Reduction
- Python-based tools like Matplotlib, NumPy, Pandas, Scikit-learn
- Python-based Recommender systems like k-nearest neighbour classifier, Similarity scores, Use of Collaborative Filtering to find similar users and many others
TensorFlow and TensorBoard Visualisation
- TensorFlow including concept of Graphs, Sessions, Fetches, Flowing tensors, Variables, Placeholders
- Optimisation example in TensorFlow: Linear Regression
- Implementing a Recommender System in TensorFlow using matrix factorisation, SVD (singular value decomposition)
Who should attend?
Software engineers, Machine Learning engineers, Artificial Intelligence or Machine Learning specialists. Any working professionals who have a keen interest in AI or ML and aspire to venture into Artificial Intelligence or Machine Learning
Participants should possess at least a relevant Diploma in ICT or Engineering. Any background knowledge in the fundamentals of computing or any past computer programming experience will be helpful.
Participants will be awarded the Certificate of Attendance by Republic Polytechnic upon meeting 80% of attendance requirement.
Thank you for your interest. This course is currently fully subscribed. You can submit your interest by clicking on the “Register Interest” button, and we will contact you when the next course run is available.
If you are not available on the dates listed in our registration portal, we would like to hear from you by clicking here
|Full Course Fees
||Singapore Citizens aged 40 & above
||SME-employed Singapore Citizens & SPR
||Singapore Citizens aged 39 & below OR Singapore PR
*Payment may be made using SkillsFuture Credit.
*Fees reflected are inclusive of Goods & Service Tax (GST).
*From 1 July 2020, Workfare Training Scheme (WTS) and fee subsidy under WTS will cease. WTS will be replaced by Workfare Skills Support Scheme (WSS). For more information on WSS, please refer to
Republic Polytechnic reserves the right to make changes to the course fee and application closing dates without prior notice. The commencement of each course is subject to sufficient number of participants.
All information is accurate at time of publishing.