This course aims to provide participants with a sound knowledge in phlebotomy and equip them with the skills to collect blood specimens safely and accurately using venepuncture and micro-techniques.
Who should attend?
Individuals currently employed or are seeking employment opportunities in the healthcare sector and who would like to gain an understanding on the procedures and skills involved in blood collection.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be able to produce evidence of Hepatitis B (HBV) immunisation. Those who are HBsAg positive (regardless of HBeAg status) will not be enrolled.
- Applicants should possess minimum qualifications of GCE ‘N’ Level or WPLN Level 6.
Participants will be able to:
- Understand the human anatomy and physiology related to Phlebotomy Practice
- Use medical terminologies related to phlebotomy
- Describe the pathological basis of common diseases including skin conditions in humans
- Understand the role of a Phlebotomist as a healthcare professional
- Follow proper patient identification procedures, patient communication and professional behaviour
- Describe and perform proper skin puncture and venepuncture procedures
- Identify, describe and troubleshoot procedural errors that can lead to failure in drawing blood
- Demonstrate patient care following the completion of venepuncture
- Demonstrate the safety precautions involved when drawing blood; and justify the need for safety precautions when drawing blood and quality assurance issues
- List and explain effects of exercise, posture, and tourniquet application upon laboratory results
Completion & Certification
To complete the theory component, participants must pass a written assessment before they are allowed to proceed to the practicum placement.
To pass the practicum component, participants are required to (1) submit their logbook records of verified 50 successful live draws to be completed within 1 month of their practicum placement; and (2) successfully perform a live draw to a panel of assessors.
Participants will be awarded a certificate of completion upon meeting the 75% course attendance requirement, passing the written assessments and completing the practicum component. Otherwise, a certification of attendance will be issued instead upon meeting the 75% course attendance requirement and passing the written assessment.
Click "APPLY NOW" to check available course dates and to register.
3 full days (9am - 6pm)
0.5 day practicum assessment (date to be advised)
Practicum placements can only be done at our partnering institution, Raffles Medical Group clinics. The practicum placement comprises 50 successful live blood draws under supervision, scheduled over 1 month.
*Republic Polytechnic may at its discretion grant permission for the practicum placement to be done at another medical facility. Participants need to make this information of alternate practicum placement available to Republic Polytechnic and complete within one month from the last day of face to face practical at Republic Polytechnic.
The practicum sessions will be held during weekday office hours (0830hrs to 1630hrs) and/or Saturday (0830hrs to 1230hrs).
Theory @ Republic Polytechnic
Practicum @ Raffles Medical Group clinics
Fees for 2022
|Full course fee (with GST)
||Singapore Citizens aged 39 & below OR Singapore PR
||Singapore Citizens aged 40 & above
||SME-sponsored Singapore Citizens OR Singapore PR
Fees for 2023
|Full Course Fees (with GST)
||Singapore Citizens aged 39 & below
||Singapore Citizens aged 40 & above
||SME-sponsored Singapore Citizens
||SME-sponsored Singapore PR
- Payment may be made using SkillsFuture Credit.
- Fees reflected are inclusive of Goods and Services Tax (GST). In line with the government fee freeze directive from 1 Jan to 31 Dec 2023, the fees in 2023 for Singapore Citizen will remain the same as 2022. RP will absorb the additional 1% GST for Singapore Citizen in 2023 only.
Republic Polytechnic reserves the right to make changes to the course fee and application closing dates without prior notice. The commencement of each course is subject to sufficient number of participants.
All information is accurate at time of publishing.