The Basic Sports Science Course is an introduction to various sports science concepts which will aid participants in their pursuit of the Fitness Instructor Course.
It is mainly conducted in a classroom format where participants are guided with basic theoretical knowledge and practical applications in Sports Science.
Participants are required to attend 21 hours (75% of the course) and pass a multiple-choice examination to qualify for a Certificate of Achievement issued by Sports Singapore and Republic Polytechnic.
Intake 51 - 9 October to 1 November 2018 (Application opens on 31 August 2018)
Intake 52 - 20 October to 15 November 2018 (Application opens on 7 September 2018)
Intake 53 - 3 to 29 November 2018 (Application opens on 21 September 2018)
3 times a week
Tuesdays & Thursdays: 7:30pm to 9:30pm
Saturdays: 9:00am to 1:00pm
Examination & Re-examination 2.5 hours, 7:00pm to 9:30pm
Republic Polytechnic Campus
*RP reserves the right to adjust course schedule. Please refer to course schedule for specific intakes provided after you have been offered a training place.
General public interested in Sports Science.
- Minimum age of 18 years old. Only participants of 21 years and above are eligible for subsidy
- The course will be delivered through a series of theory and practical sessions where course participants are expected to participate actively through listening, discussion and demonstration. The course and assessment will be conducted in English. It is recommended, although not required, that participants possess a credit in the English Language at the GCE "O" / "N" Levels or Employability Skills System (ESS) of Level 5.
Note: Maximum class size will be capped at 55 pax. Applicants will be offered on a first-come-first serve basis.
Participants must meet the required attendance of 75% for lessons (at least 21 out of 28 hours) to be eligible to sit for the assessment.
- 8 pm is the cut-off time for attendance taking for Tuesdays' and Thursdays' lectures, and 9.30 am the cut-off time for attendance taking for Saturdays' lectures. After which, the participant will be marked as absent. However, the participant can still sit in for the rest of the lecture.
- The duration of examination is 2.5 hours.
- Participants who score a minimum of 70 out of 100 multiple-choice questions will be issued with a Certificate of Achievement.
- Participants who do not meet the minimum score of 70/100, will be able to sit for a re-examination with the same scoring criterion.
- Participants are allowed up to 1 attempt at the re-examination failing which, participants will have to retake the whole course and be subjected to the attendance and passing criterion.
- The cost of re-examination is $53.50 (incl. GST).
|Full Course Fee (Others)
|Workfare Training Scheme(WTS)
||Singapore Citizens aged 40 & above
||SME-employed Singapore Citizens
|Singapore Citizens aged below 40 OR Singapore PR
*Course fees accurate as of 1 May 2018, subject to review annually.
*SkillsFuture credit approved.
Full course fee will be charged if
1) participant fails to meet the minimum requirement of 75% attendance and terms and conditions for SkillsFuture Singapore funding eligibility,
2) participant fails the course,
3) participant repeats the course,
4) participant is below 21 years old.
Republic Polytechnic reserves the right to make changes to the course fee and application closing dates without prior notice.
All information is accurate at time of publishing.