Coaches play a key role in every sport. Not only do they teach us the skills of the game, they also impart important values such as resilience, discipline and teamwork which are applicable both in sports and in life.
Good coaches have clearly articulated coaching philosophies reflecting what they value which in turn translates to their coaching practices. As coaches, we do not work in isolation. Our coaching practices should also take into account the key guidelines, principles and standards of the organisations and stakeholders we are working with.
Through this course, coaches should recognise the value sports bring beyond medals, and the role we play in shaping the environment to build better athletes and better people.
This course presents participants with opportunities to engage in online learning, classroom discussions on the various VPS topics and a practical sporting experience on how to facilitate the learning of values through sport.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to
● Recognise the key role coaches play in helping the nation to live better through sport
● Reflect on your coaching beliefs and develop a clearly articulated personal coaching philosophy
● Explain positive coaching principles and behaviours in sport to create a positive sporting experience
● Describe coaching ethics and expectations defined by Sport Singapore and Ministry of Education that all coaches in Singapore must abide by
● Understand the application of the Game-for-Life framework to design a session plan that inculcates values through sport
● Be aware of Safe Sport & Anti-Doping principles & practices
Who should attend?
Suitable for participants who are looking to enter coaching.
The VPS certification is also a requirement to apply for the National Registry of Coaches (NROC) membership, and coaches who would like to coach in MOE schools.
Minimum age of 18 years old. Only participants of 21 years and above are eligible for subsidy.
The course and assessment will be conducted in English. It is recommended, although not required, that participants possess a credit in the English Language at the GCE O-Level, N(A)-Level or Employability Skills System (ESS)-Level 5.
● Compulsory completion of all e-learning topics before you attend the classroom session.
● Attend classroom and practical session
● Submission of coaching philosophy on SportSG-ED
● Completion of course feedback
You are required to submit Sportsync ID number upon confirmation of course.
Details on the registration can be found here.
Note that it is not necessary for participants to attend this workshop if you have already attained any of these certifications:
● National Standards for Youth Sports (NSYS) for Coaching in Singapore Schools; or
● SG-Coach Level 1 Theory (conducted by Republic Polytechnic); or
● 'Building Capacity of Coaches and Instructors (BCCI)' workshop
You will be awarded the Values & Principles in Sport (VPS) certificate upon completion of all e-learning topics, minimum 75% attendance of classroom session, submission of coaching philosophy and respective course feedback.
As there are interactive and practical elements during the lesson, please be in your sports attire.
|Full Course Fee (Others)
||Singapore Citizens aged 40 & above
||SME-employed Singapore Citizens & SPR
||Singapore Citizens aged below 40 OR Singapore PR
• Payment may be made using SkillsFuture Credit.
• All fees quoted are inclusive of 7% GST.
• From 1 July 2020, Workfare Training Scheme (WTS) and fee subsidy under WTS will cease. WTS will be replaced by Workfare Skills Support Scheme (WSS). For more information on WSS, please refer to https://www.wsg.gov.sg/programmes-and-initiatives/workfare-skills-support-scheme-individuals.html.
Republic Polytechnic reserves the right to make changes to the course fee and application closing dates without prior notice. The commencement of each course is subject to sufficient number of participants.
All information is accurate at time of publishing.